Thursday, December 21, 2017

The Sickly Summers'

A long blog hiatus is never a good sign :( The Summers fam has been in pure survival mode for weeks, but we are slowly coming out of the longest and worst stretch of illness we've ever had as a family... just in time for Christmas!!! It's a Christmas miracle! Let the record show: on December 21, 2017- all three Summerses are healthy for the first time in over a month!!! Whoo hoo!!!!

It's hard to keep all the sickness straight, but in the last month Stephen had an ear infection, sinus infection, and bronchitis. Meanwhile I got a UTI, followed by a stomach virus, followed by another UTI. This isn't even the really bad part yet...

Then last Tuesday our poor sweet Hannah bug caught a vicious stomach virus at daycare. It was the worst thing in the world to see her so sick. She vomited 13 times in less than 3 1/2 hours. We couldn't even keep up. One of us would hold her, while the other one just frantically tried to clean up the mess before the next attack. After a phone call to the on-call nurse, they told us to take her to the ER because she was at risk for dehydration. Ugh. It was the WORST. So at about 9pm we took her to the UK Pediatric ER. Once we were there they got everything under control really fast. They gave her something to make her stop getting sick and she perked up pretty quick after that. She was able to drink some juice and water, and after some observation they let us go home around midnight. The nurses and doctors were all really great with her and when it was time to go home she didn't even want to leave- she wanted to stay and play with her stickers that the nurse brought her. Haha!

Hannah's 1st and hopefully ONLY trip to the ER
I stayed home with Hannah the next day so she could recover. It was AMAZING how quick she bounced back. Stomach viruses put me down for a week, but Hannah was back to her peppy self in less than 12 hours! We were so relieved and thankful that she recovered so quickly.

Hannah and friends recovering the next day

I wish this is where the story ended. But no. Just 24 hours after Hannah got sick, I fell victim to the stomach virus AGAIN. This time was way worse than what I had the previous week. Two words: BOTH ENDS. Bla!!! It was terrible. It was a real low point for us morale-wise. Stephen was so sweet and stayed up with me while I basically slept on the bathroom floor between "episodes" until about 3am. I was hoping to bounce back as quick as Hannah the next day, but no such luck. This virus lingered for days and ended with two doctor visits to get medication and then to run a bunch of tests because my stomach just would not get back to normal. It was awful. At this point I had missed so much work that I was completely out of time and had to take 4 days unpaid. Bla. Being sick sucks bad. I missed our Christmas party with our friends from church, I missed my Christmas party at work, I missed going on a weekend getaway with Stephen to Knoxville for a Christmas concert, and I missed so much quality time with Hannah. No stomach viruses in 2018 please. Shout out to my amazing husband for taking the best care of Hannah and me while we were sick, and for keeping our household running while I basically hibernated for 2 weeks. He's the best.

Recovering with my girls
Feeling much better after getting plenty of snuggles!
We've spent lots of time just laying around!

I am SO thankful that I finally turned a corner yesterday and was able to go back to work! I'm also so thankful that Hannah is ok. Now we're looking forward to hopefully a nice, relaxing Christmas weekend with NO ILLNESS!!!
This is what I want for Christmas ;) Proper Daycare attire.


No comments:

Post a Comment